500 Women Scientists
Across the globe, women in science face discrimination, unequal pay, and reduced opportunities. As women scientists, we are in the position to take action to increase diversity in science and other disciplines. We resolve to continue our pursuits with renewed passion and to find innovative solutions to the problems we face in the U.S. and abroad. Together, we pledge to:
- Identify and acknowledge structural inequalities and biases that affect the potential of all individuals to fulfill their goals;
- Push for equality and stand up to inequality, discrimination, and aggression;
- Push to strengthen the support for traditionally under-represented groups to fully participate in and become leaders in science;
- Support the education and careers of all scientists;
- Step outside of our research disciplines to communicate our science and engage with the public;
- Use every day as an opportunity to demonstrate to young girls and women that they are welcome and needed in science;
- Set examples through mentorship and through fostering an atmosphere of encouragement and collaboration, not one of divisiveness;
- Use the language of science to bridge the divides that separate societies and to enhance global diplomacy.
Today, we invite the women in science and our colleagues to declare our support to each other and to all minorities, immigrants, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA. Our scientific work may be global, yet we will take action in our own communities and we will work towards an inclusive society, where science and knowledge can be embraced and everyone has the opportunity to reach their potential.