6th FPR-UCLA Interdisciplinary Conference - A Critical Moment: Sex/Gender Research at the Intersection of Culture, Brain, & Behavior
This conference occurs at a critical juncture in sex/gender research in neuroscience, anthropology, psychology, and related disciplines. New theories are utilizing a conception of the brain as dynamic, plastic, and adaptable, and of sex/gender brain and behavioral differences as subject to the influence of a broad range of biological, cultural, and social or environmental factors.
In organizing this conference, our aim is to bring the neuro- and social sciences together to consider three cross-cutting questions on sex/gender: why now? what's fixed/changing/changeable? what's at stake?
The proposed conference is the sixth in a series of meetings hosted by the Foundation for Psychocultural Research (FPR) at UCLA. Our mission is to support and advance interdisciplinary and integrative research and training on interactions of culture, neuroscience, psychiatry, and psychology, with an emphasis on cultural processes as central. Our primary objective is to help articulate and support the creation of transformative paradigms that address issues of fundamental clinical and social concern.
Confirmed Speakers and Panelists
- Sari van Anders, PhD, Associate Professor, Psychology & Women's Studies, University of Michigan
- Art Arnold, PhD, Director, Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology, Brain Research Institute, UCLA (Conference Co-Chair)
- Tom Boellstorff, PhD, Professor Department of Anthropology, UC Irvine
- Lisa Diamond, PhD, Professor of Psychology and Gender Studies, Department of Psychology, University of Utah
- Anne Fausto-Sterling, PhD, Nancy Duke Lewis Professor Emerita of Biology and Gender Studies
- Daniel Fessler, PhD, Professor, Department of Anthropology, UCLA
- Matthew Gutmann, PhD, MPH, Professor of Anthropology and Faculty Fellow, Watson Institute for International Studies, Brown University
- Gilbert Herdt, PhD, Professor and Founder, Graduate Program in Human Sexuality, California Institute for Integral Studies
- Melissa Hines, PhD, Professor, Developmental Neuroscience, University of Cambridge
- Kathy Huang, MA, Filmmaker, Tales of the Waria
- Marcia Inhorn, PhD, MPH, William K. Lanman Jr. Professor of Anthropology and International Affairs, Department of Anthropology, Yale University
- Hillard Kaplan, PhD, Professor, Department of Anthropology, University of New Mexico
- Robert Lemelson, PhD, Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology, UCLA; President, The Foundation for Psychocultural Research
- Michael Peletz, PhD, Professor, Department of Anthropology, Emory University
- Sarah Richardson, PhD, John L. Loeb Associate Professor of the Social Sciences, Harvard University
- James Rilling, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology, Emory University
- Alice Wexler, PhD, Research Scholar, Center for the Study of Women, UCLA
- Carol Worthman, PhD, Samuel Candler Dobbs Professor of Anthropology, Emory University